Knowing what you have and what do you want is the way of life.
In IT Operations, you may category the work into two
- Planned Work
- Business Projects
- IT Internal Projects
- Change Requests
- Unplanned Work
The simplest way to increase the throughput is minimize the Unplanned work as it is the killer, you should a process that would avoid any potential Unplanned work.
Here is what you may have to do
- Establish a Trust between the units/people and they communicate effectively.
- Understand the Organization Goals.
- Setup the Key Performance Indicator that would align with Organization, It is really important as it would play a key role in IT success.
- Scope the work that would not overrun the resources.
- Stability is the foundation, it should not be compromised to accommodate features.
- Resource utilization visibility is critical
- You must have Resource throttle level – should not exceed 80%
- People should know what and why they are working
- People should not perform multi-tasking as it would lead Unplanned work.
- People should aware of this
- Until the code reaches production it worth nothing.
- Small batches of delivery means a lot to business.
- Improving daily work is important than just doing it.
- Production, QA & Dev environments should be sync to avoid any potential issues.
- Project should increase throughput but not the other way around blocking the work.
- Constraints are People/Resource who would deliver something great.
- Constraints should be not be blocked at any cost.
- Constraints should be used to deliver something adds value and should never be used for Unplanned work.